Monday, July 27, 2009

Had a lot of DIY on my to-do list. While paint and wall fillers are drying, I can show you the one job I did get done today: straightening my bookcase. It was leaning like the Tower Of Pisa, thanks to me putting it on wheels because I thought I would occasionally want to move it around while redecorating. WRONG! As it turns out I like it against the wall, so I decided it was time to do what Ikea had told me to do in the first place and attach it to the wall for extra support.

BEFORE:


Notice how it's leaning away from the wall:


It was quite a hassle getting the screw in the wall in the right position...


But the result was well worth it: look at it, standing up straight:


Although after I had tightened the screws, it was not quite level with my floor anymore...


But I figured it would settle after I put my books back:


(It hasn't settled down yet: there is still a gap at the bottom, but it's hasn't toppled over either, so I trust it will be alright. Time will tell;)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7/28/2009 02:41:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may want to shim the bottom to keep the book case from racking...and possibly spliting. Just a thought

Cheri

 
At 7/28/2009 11:26:00 pm, Blogger BeeLikeJ said...

Ah yes, I thought the same thing: I bought a sheet of wood for support this afternoon, but it turned out to be too thick *rolls eyes at self for not measuring properly*. I'm hoping to get a good fit tomorrow. I've cycled to the DYI store quite a bit these few days;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home